Thursday, March 29, 2007

Who needs to know about the Family Leave Act? YOU!!

Just when you thought I'd dropped off the face of the planet... here I come, rebounding back into the blogosphere.

As the post title hints, this little rant is about a topic that may make some of you roll your eyes, but take this as firsthand testimony... you need to get a grip on this subject. I found a pretty solid and concise site on this matter that I think will give you some bearings on it, but the basic premise for those of you too impatient to follow that link is this - if your company employs 50 or more people, you have to permit employee who qualify with a job protected leave of absence to care for themselves or a qualified family member, for a period of up to 12 weeks.

Even if your company does not have the legal obligation to comply, it's a good idea to consider it because as the talent pool gets tighter, the folks you don't offer this to are going to find it more attractive to go work for your competitors who do.

I'm an HR geek, so you'd naturally expect me to raise this issue somewhere along the line, but I am writing about it now because I am currently on such a leave. I can tell you that I have arranged hundreds of these Leaves for employees in my career, but never appreciated exactly how important they could be till I experienced it for myself.

YOUR MISSION:
Take a look at your team - who has ailing parents, kids or spouses? Who is ill? Who is having a child? Even better - consider who MIGHT fit any of those descriptions? What will you do when they come to you and say "I need time off to take care of my critically ill child"?
Scary prospect, I know, but you'd better prepare for it now because I can assure you - this situation is going to come your way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool!